Are you sick of setting resolutions every year, and it gets to mid-year, and you realise your dreams are still just that? Maybe you’re plugging away at your study, burning the midnight oil and the candle at both ends, but the end seems so far away?
Maybe you’re on the right track, things are all falling into place, but they’re just not quite there yet.
Here are 10 things you can do to keep things moving forward while you’re waiting for everything to fall into place and your dream career to take off.
- Update your Resume and LinkedIn profiles.
- Make a list of all the projects you’ve been involved in and your achievements from the last three years.
- Learn more. Do short courses. Go to networking events and industry breakfasts.
- Meet people in your dream job and your dream field. Find out everything you can from them to see if it’s really where you want to be.
- Enjoy where you are now. Don’t waste your current happiness waiting forever for the next big thing. Think of 10 things you love about your current work situation, and celebrate those.
- Grow where you are now – let everyone know that you are ready for a new challenge and looking for opportunities. Keep this positive – tell your boss how much you love where you are, and what skills you want to develop and build on.
- Address your mindset. Fear can often keep us in our comfort zone for far longer than it should. Do some deep thinking and challenge why your career change is taking time and if you might be self-sabotaging your own success
- Say YES. Don’t let the fears of not being ready, or not knowing it all hold you back. As Richard Branson says, say yes and work out how to do it later. Once you get in the habit of saying yes to opportunities, you’ll find more and more naturally come along. And vice versa, if people think you’re happy and comfortable, and always say no, they’ll stop offering you new opportunities.
- Be open to different pathways. You might think there is only one way to meet your goal, and you’re on track. Be open to different ways you might get the same outcomes, and don’t close doors just because you think it’s not for you.
- Look backward and consider how you can help others who are coming along after you in your career. You’ve learned a lot, grown a lot and have had a lot of success – consider a mentoring or leadership role where you can share this and give back to your industry and learn more about yourself in the process.
Do you have any different ways you use to keep moving forward while you’re waiting? Share below and we’ll add it to the list.